Hey dudes, thanks for stopping by my site even though you are dudes. I know this is not really a manly kind of place, but just pretend there’s some camo or sports balls hanging around. I’ll try to say bro and dude a lot.
So Mother’s Day is right around the corner, and originally I thought I’d write a post geared toward women on what to get their mothers. But then I thought that would be stupid since women know what to get women. So instead I decided to help out all of you dads out there with ideas on what to do for/get your woman. I’m here for you, man. I got your back. Fist bump.
First, let me just give you a short list of what to AVOID getting your beauty (EVER):
- Anything involving exercise/weight loss…even if they asked you for it. Just.don’t.go.there.
- An iron.
- A prank gift. This is not the time. Neither is Valentine’s Day. Don’t learn the hard way like my husband did. Moms take this day seriously. It’s the one most important job we have and we work our tushies off at it. Don’t screw it up.
- A card. And only a card.
- A gift card…Save the convenience gifts for another time.
You CAN’T GO WRONG with any of the following:
- Get her a pedicure. Get her a manicure. Get her a massage. Get her a facial. Heck, get her all of it. Just make an appointment for her beforehand and then send her on her way.
- Let her sleep in. Do NOT send the little ankle biters in to jump on the bed at 6:00 in the morning. I swear to you, she wants to sleep. Don’t ask “Do you want me to take the kids so you can sleep?” Just take the kids and GET OUT.
- Hand her the keys to the car and tell her to get out of the house and go do whatever the heck she wants. INSIST. The insistence part is key. If you don’t, she’ll still feel as if she should be at home helping. Insist and you will be rightfully rewarded…I promise.
- Cook and then also clean the dishes. She’ll love you forever.
- When she’s out of the house, clean the house. Vacuum. Wipe down the counters. Have the kids clean their rooms. I will say this only once: cleaning and tidying are two totally different things. You want the good stuff? Get to know Mr. Clean.
- Want extra husband points? DO THE FREAKING LAUNDRY.
Now, with THAT said, on to gifts. You can go many different routes with this. Handmade you can never go wrong with, but make sure it is accompanied by one of the items listed above. If you want to buy her something, try getting something unique. You know her personality, so go with that. If it is obvious you put thought into it, she will love it. If she is all about practicality, that is great, but try to have the kiddos at least make her breakfast or at the very least a card. Here are some ideas for you covering all the bases (like my clever sports reference?):
Handmade Gift Ideas:
Get your kids in on the action. She doesn’t need anything fancy (although she will not argue if you want to go that route ;). She’ll keep anything they make forever. If the kids are older, encourage them to write her a letter. That’s it. A letter. Wanna see a mom cry? Write a letter. Frame it even. Here are a few ideas for things that younger kids can make:
Unique and One-of-a-Kind Gifts:
- If she is sentimental (you really can’t go wrong with sentimental) then think of specific events, places, or things that symbolize certain times in her life. Does she have a favorite band? Look on sites like Etsy to see if there is a print with lyrics from one of its songs. Where was her child born? See if there is a unique memento from that place.
- For a mom that loves to cook, consider an apron. No, no, I’m serious! These are not your ordinary aprons. Aprons have taken a fashionable turn in the past few years. I mean, just look at how cute these are! Your kiddos could get this for their mom and you could even get it embroidered.
- If she likes wine and books, draw her a bath, light some candles, and have this sitting over the tub waiting for her. AWESOME.
- I don’t know a woman out there that doesn’t like Etsy. If you are not familiar, Etsy is a website chock-full of handmade items, many of them personalized.
- Some women really would rather have something they can use. The trick is to stay attuned to what she’s into or what she needs. This involves listening. Please don’t make me go into my teacher lecture on the difference between hearing and listening. Here are some examples:
Digital graphics by thelatestfind.com